View Single Post
Old October 17, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Sevens

Colt Woodsman Magazine substitution

Made a discovery when looking to trouble shoot a particular issue in a Second Series Colt Woodsman. I would never believe that I was the "first" to discover this, but I can say that I never looked in to it and never got a tip to it.

Bottom line is that a Ruger Mark II magazine is the same angle & dimensions (mostly) to run, and run perfectly well in a Second (& would assume Third) Series Colt Woodsman or variant if/when you are able to lock it in place at the correct height.

What you end up with here is access to a tremendous supply of magazines that are cheaper, easier to find, run as well/better than the original and/or as well as the genuine Colt replacements. FWIW, the actual proper replacement or additional magazines for these pistols are not the "stainless" silver magazines often found on Gunbroker or Ebay, though those *can* work. Those magazines were actually made for the much later "Colt .22 Auto" pistols of much more recent manufacture. Those pistols would never be confused for a genuine Woodsman or variant. And those silver magazines *ARE* different than the OEM or Colt replacement magazines of earlier generations. Different where it matters, in my experience.

And for me personally, it's immediate access to SIX magazines that I already own and don't have to purchase, chase down or have shipped.

The Ruger Mark II magazine doesn't look "right" hanging from the bottom of the pistol of course, and the magazine must be modified to work, but that modification doesn't interfere whatsoever with that magazine's ability to still work in the Ruger Mark II for which it was designed.

I'm a million miles from a gun smith and have enough respect for true craftsman to make note of the fact that I am not one. But this "discovery" has been a great advantage to me, so I thought I would share.

Opinions and discussion is welcome.

Page generated in 0.02895 seconds with 8 queries