View Single Post
Old February 12, 2011, 04:25 PM   #17
WildBill45

"In point of fact a 12g far beats anything else for bear protection except spray. Most locals dont carry rifles when fishing on the road system hint hint"

I beg to differ, slugs are too fat--poor penetration on bone, and break apart on bone under some circumstances, and not the best for bear protection.

That is nice the 'locals' don't carry rifles, as it is a cultural thing ... not unlike old cops who, after years of never having an incident, get carefree as well. I treat my first call, and my last call after almost 30 years of service, the same. I don't hold it against anyone to be casual about it, but I prefer to do my vigilant style. The old guys didn't practice as much, never did martial arts, and that is fine for them. Me, I am a little different in that regard. I would rather carry it all day, every day and not need it, than to NOT carry it and NEED IT! It is your life, do as you please...

I did not, nor did I intend to shoot any bear for taking fish, as some have hinted at such. I carry protection to protect life and limb only. In Colorado I had to deal with bears almost everyday, on duty and off. I had them constantly on my mountain property, and they did major damage to the house. I never shot one. I did shoot a few on duty ... with rubber bullets only!

Last edited by WildBill45; February 12, 2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: add 4 words

Page generated in 0.02720 seconds with 8 queries