View Single Post
Old May 24, 2014, 01:42 PM   #2
MarkCO

That is a long ways. I have shot coyotes at a long distance of 1100 yards. Finding them that far off is the biggest trick.

I was elk hunting and had just left the timber and was walking through a sage flat when a shepherd whooped. I looked over at him, about 500 yards off, and he was waving his arms and pointing. I looked to my right and I saw a Coyote making tracks. I instinctively swung, flicked the .30-06 off safe, tracked, got a lead and holdover and fired one round. I racked another one in and started to scan for it...nothing. I heard the shepherd laughing his head off and looked at him again. He was clapping and yelling and jumping up and down. I started off in the direction of the Coyote. When I got to about where I had shot at him, I looked at the shepherd and he waved for me to go further. About 30 yards further, I saw a few patches of hair in the sage and then a brown and red skidmark about 15 feet long with a piled up coyote at the end. Left back rib entry and exited right at the back of the right shoulder...350 yards, offhand at a full run coyote. It was before videotaping was all the rage, but if I had it on film, people would still be watching it. I doubt I could repeat that lucky shot. Shepherd thought it was the best thing he ever saw. Granted he lived in a small wagon in the middle of nowhere.

Page generated in 0.02971 seconds with 8 queries