View Single Post
Old April 1, 2011, 09:14 PM   #44
jwilson48

hahahahaha!!! no hard feelings bud. i just KNOW all hunting bullets can kill ethically when put in the boiler room. my point was simply go for the "type" of bullet you want with the best accuracy and you will have a killer load as long as knockdown power is adequate.

as far as your son goes with his 30-30 that was also my first centerfire. killed atleast 15 deer with it. never had one go further than 60 yards. it is however an outdated cartridge and range is very limited.

why don't you talk to him about getting a rifle like a 7mm-08? or a .284 win? both have substantially more knockdown power than a 30-30 but very similar recoil. a good pad and you can put 100 rounds through without getting tired of shooting. my 5ft nothing 115 lb wife loves shooting the 7mm-08.

have him go to chuck hawks recoil table and he can see how hard each gun kicks then check out chuck hawks trajectory. also big game info ballistic calculator is a great resource. he can see how flat a gun shoots, energy, optimal game weight, maximum point blank range etc. i have used the specs off of different calibers before in helping me decide what my next gun would be. haven't been disappointed yet.

Page generated in 0.02467 seconds with 8 queries