View Single Post
Old August 10, 2005, 10:08 PM   #1
Redworm

where can I learn?

I'm completely new to rifles and guns in general. I've never fired a gun in my life and I'm just now starting to research ballistics, which I find to be a fascinating subject. The bottom line is that I want to learn how to shoot. For the record, I'm 22 and I live in northeast Illinois just shy of the Wisconsin border.

I'm taking the steps necessary to get a FOID card but once I do I have no idea what the next step is. I can't simply go out and buy a gun because I don't even know what to look for nor what would suit me best. Unfortunately I've found that shooting ranges in my area are few and far between; what are the chances that I'll be able to find one that rents them out? A key point is that I'd not only like to learn the basics of shooting but also try out a variety of guns to find which feels best. I've heard of the guns popularized by Hollywood - Beretta 9FS, Colt M1911, GLOCK 17, etc - but I've no idea where I can do to try all of them out. Any ideas?

Also I'd like to learn to shoot long range rifles. That may (or may not) sound strange, but there's a reason for it. I'm strongly considering joining the Marine Corps within the next year or two and one of the options I've considered is applying to be a sniper. Why? My dad was a sniper for the Army; he died when I was young otherwise I'd be asking him all this but I'd like to take a crack at what he did for a living to see if I feel as natural behind a scope as he did. Do shooting ranges ever have rifles like that available? Is there any place I could experience long range shooting?

One more question; what are your recommendations for someone like me in terms of a good starter gun, additional equipment, books I should read, magazines I should peruse, people I should talk to, types of shops I should look for and/or avoid, and any other general information one might have?

Before I do any of this I'll continue to research how guns work, the physics behind them, my state laws, and whatever other information I can absorb over time. I'll be calling the few ranges in my area over the next few days but I figured a forum full of gun owners would be a great place to get some insight on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

Page generated in 0.02610 seconds with 8 queries