View Single Post
Old August 14, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Sparks2112

Hit and Run, Thoughts?

So, today (about 20 minutes ago actually) I witnessed what could have been a horrible thing.

A very pretty blond girl, couldn't have been more than 18, is standing at a corner with a German Shepherd on a leash, waiting for the crosswalk to turn green.

This is a three way intersection, and I'm at the bottom of the T waiting to make a left hand turn, which also happens to be the side of the road she's wanting to cross. So the light turns green, and I edge out about a foot or two as she starts to walk across the road. From my right I catch movement that's too fast, and turn my head to see a car blowing through the red light. Everything slows down, and I actually remember thinking to myself "I hope the dog blunts the impact enough so that this doesn't kill her" as she was walking the dog on the side that this car was coming from.

Luckily the girl was paying enough attention to jerk the dog back on his leash, and jump out of the way. It's fun what adrenaline does because the dog had to weigh maybe all of 10 pounds less than she did, and she yanked it off of it's feet pulling it out of the way.

Driver of the car flipped her off, and screamed something out the window at her as he drove past. Well dressed middle aged guy. Real winner I guess.

What I was wondering was this. Assuming he had hit her, but had stopped after, would I have been justified in removing him from his vehicle? If I tried to do so and it looked as if he was going to attempt to drive off, and looks like he may injure someone further in doing so, is deadly force warranted? He's already demonstrated at that point he's willing to run 1 person over, who I assume would still be in the possible path of his car. Not to mention any bystanders that had since gathered. What if he hadn't stopped? Follow while on the phone with 911?What are everyone's thoughts?
J.M. Johnston

Last edited by Sparks2112; August 14, 2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: cleared up some muddy language

Page generated in 0.02810 seconds with 8 queries