View Single Post
Old June 22, 2009, 05:08 PM   #17
Doc Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISP2605
"The "fanny pack carry" issue came to light in about 2001. Some were advocating that it was legal, some didn't think it was, most didn't know for sure. My agency was getting called many calls everyday from the public and other LEAs/LEOs asking for an opinion on the legality. I personally fielded a lot of such calls. In order to get a statewide interpretation of how the law was applied and intent of the law we contacted the IL AG. The AG at the time was Jim Ryan who was running for governor. His office refused to give an opinion and deferred to each of the 102 states attorneys. <good stuff snipped>

... The next thing you need to consider is if you get arrested and charged are you prepared to pay the legal fees to resolve the matter. Are you prepared to possibly spend the night or weekend in jail until a judge sets bond? And the last thing to consider is are you prepared for the consequences if the court rules against you and you find yourself with possibly a felony conviction on your record and therefore never allowed to possess a firearm again, have to pay many thousands of dollars in fines and attorney fees, and possibly face jail time. At the very least, win, lose or draw, expect to spend several thousand dollars in legal fees. In other words, before you fanny pack carry make sure you are fully informed of the circumstances and your fully understand the repercussions which may result."
Thank you. Appreciate the detailed post.

I'm not sure why someone who wanted to carry in Illinois would not simply go through the process to obtain a CCW permit, however, I don't live in Illinois. It may be an impossible task...

Given the legal fees, court costs, and other negative outcomes involved in a conviction for firearms-related arrests, though, I would think that a considerable amount of jumping through hoops would be justified to try to obtain the CCW permit before carrying concealed.

Sounds crazy, I know...

Page generated in 0.01948 seconds with 8 queries