View Single Post
Old July 5, 2007, 02:32 AM   #1
jephthai

Quick Access Shotgun Storage

Greetings -- I am new to this forum, so please be kind if there's something wrong with my post! I spent the last half hour searching through the forum regarding this question, and didn't find what I am looking for.

I am deciding between a handgun and a shotgun for home defense. The major sticking point right now is fast access and safe storage -- I have a young son, and want to be sure it's as safe as reasonable (I'm also aware of the need for education and familiarity, so to head those posts off at the pass, I am planning on that, in depth, as well). Yet, I want to have speedy access to my home defense weapon.

For a handgun, I have seen the GunVault safes, which I kinda' like. Some Google searching has turned up nothing like that for shotguns, except for the seemingly discontinued GunVault 3000 (Google found it on GunVault's site only for registering it). Am I missing something?

So, for shotguns it seems like there are only two options -- big gun safes and locks. A full-size safe is expensive, and they don't seem to be designed for quick access (maybe I'm wrong?). The most-recommended lock I can find (only recommended lock?), is the Mossberg Loc-Box, but I am concerned about key access. I would prefer not to be fumbling to find or operate a key in the night.

If key-access is the best I can do, I have lots of concerns. Do I keep it on my keyring? Do I put a backup key somewhere? Where do you put it so it can't be found by the child, but is easily accessible when you just exited REM sleep? I don't mind thinking this through for my own situation, but guidance from those who have thought this through in the past is much appreciated!

Thanks for your time -- feel free to point me to other forum threads if this question has been asked a lot and I just missed it on my searching.

-Jephthai-

Page generated in 0.02535 seconds with 8 queries