View Single Post
Old February 14, 2013, 11:59 AM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

.41 Colt ammo is expensive. Unlike many obsolete calibers, cases cannot be made from some other cartridge cases, so the tooling has to be made, plus sales are, of necessity, limited. The least expensive I found was about $60, but there may be cheaper sources.

Hi, Craigsirna,

I fail to see your confusion. I think Bob, Mike and myself have pretty clearly told you what model you have. The counterclockwise cylinder rotation, the double row of cylinder notches and the sideplate on the right describe the New Army and Navy revolvers. The .38 caliber version was the standard U.S. service pistol from 1892 to 1909; it was the pistol (revolver) that notoriously failed to stop Philippine rebels and led to the decision to re-adopt a .45 caliber, first the Model 1909 revolver, then the Model 1911 automatic pistol.

The .41 Caliber version was strictly civilian; had it been adopted by the Army, it would probably have been more effective in combat.

Hi, B. Lahey,

You are right about that model being underappreciated by collectors. That may be because so few of those guns are in what might be called "collectible condition", meaning simply that most are dogs. Many are in very poor condition, mainly the military guns, and/or are inoperable. The design is not a very good one, and broken springs and other parts are common. I have been fortunate enough to acquire several in fairly nice shape, but I would say 60% are junk or close to it.

Maybe part of the problem is the aura those guns have. The SAA evokes images of the Old West; the M1911 and M1911A1 pistols of victory in two World Wars. The Models 1892-1905 bring forth memories of ineffectiveness in unremembered battles in an imperialistic war.

Jim

Page generated in 0.02377 seconds with 8 queries