View Single Post
Old May 4, 2007, 09:26 AM   #6
Smokey Joe

Save yourself a big hassle!!!

Petequad--Yes, A-merc brass is junk! Recycle it ($1.60/lb here last time for me!) The Chinese are grabbing up copper, which drives up the price of brass.

Especially if you're new to reloading, when you'll have this and that not quite working right for you, and having to learn new techniques, etc, etc, the LAST thing you need is one more factor to have to control.

A-merc brass has primer pockets that don't hold primers. Except when the pockets are too tight to get the primers into. It has rims that are too thick for extractors to grab--except when the rims are so thin they don't seal the chamber. Primer holes 'way off center. Varying thickness brass from one side of the case to the other. And so on. And so on.

I don't care how much of it you've got, nor how much $$ you feel you'll be wasting by getting rid of it. Do yourself a favor--DON'T RELOAD AMERC!!!

It's almost impossible to find universal agreement among reloaders about anything--we are an individualistic bunch--but I think that if we all agree on any one thing it is that Amerc brass is junk.

Frankly I don't understand how the American Ammunition Company stays in business, but then there are a number of mysteries of the universe, the answers to which I am not privy.

S&B brass is okay. Not great, but perfectly usable. If you're going to buy brass, you owe it to yourself to try The Best, which is Starline for pistol brass.

After you've reloaded lotsa rounds, and have a clear understanding of the basic process, you could try reloading some A-merc brass if you insist on re-inventing the wheel. It's been done, and reported in this and other fora, and the results are always the same. But do yourself a favor and use decent brass for learning the process.

Am I making myself clear, here?

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; May 4, 2007 at 09:33 AM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.

Page generated in 0.03840 seconds with 8 queries