View Single Post
Old September 3, 1999, 11:52 PM   #15
SB

David:

I'm going to try to explain this as delicately as possible, though I fear that it'll still fall upon deaf ears.

While your intentions are good, much of what SCARS commercializes is smoke and mirrors. Many details, which unfortunately I am specifically told not to divulge, are anything from exaggeations to outright lies. In fact, so many folks in the SEAL community are ticked off with SCARS that, if you'll go to the SCARS website, they have an "official document" stating that they have never been publically black-balled by the Naval Warfare community.

Personal experience with SCARS? Well, I have a friend who was simultaneously trained in multiple styles of grappling and stand up fighting. Always looking for an edge, he purchased the SCARS system. He told me, much to his dismay, that there's nothing in there that he didn't already learn from the first two years of his martial arts training. When I asked to see it, he said he lost it. Being a martial arts fanatic, I was surprised that he would lose anything unless it was useless to him.

The "ex-frogman" that you speak of did not want me to divulge his true identity, but he has good reason which I get into later. On the other hand, maybe it's not that surprising because SEAL folks, by and large, tend to be the quiet types. Or at least that's what my impression is. All I can really say is that he's a retired SEAL who has been taught SCARS and that was his impression of it.

There are many reasons why people use aliases instead of real names. And I think either way is fine depending on your motivations. Yes, it's true that many hide behind aliases, maybe because they're juvenile and can pretend to be someone they are not. My personal reason is that the net is still full of dangers. It's a wild country out here, and if you're not careful, it's the same as walking alone at night wearing a T-shirt saying, "Mug me." But you can trace my presence as far back as the very beginning of this forum. I may use an alias, but I am consistent and I don't use it as a means to hide. Anyways, back to Mr. "ex-frogman". The reason why he doesn't use his real name is because he is still working within the SEALS community.

The other reason why he decided to be anonymous is because he has gotten quite a bit of flak from folks who are fanatical about SCARS. Admittedly, there are still folks in the community who love SCARS and SAFTA, not to mention non-spec ops or even non-military folks. And he simply doesn't have the time to explain to everybody, "Look, SCARS is, in many ways, a scam. It may only be my opinion, but you're going to do more harm than good in the end if you buy into it."

But in the end, it really is only one person's opinion. I've been looking everywhere for someone, WITHIN SEALS, willing to come forward and present the pro-side to SCARS. To date, I have not been successful. That is not to say such folks don't exist, just that I haven't found one yet. BUT, if ANYONE on here can find me someone-- WITHIN SEALS and not directly related to any of these two organizations-- willing to step forward and testify on SCARS or SAFTA's behalf, PLEASE let me know.

Actually, SEALS don't use hand to hand combat too much. I liken them very much like a mongoose, small in stature, but larger than life in ferocity. In that, I mean the typical MO is to have two men jump a sentry silently while a third one provides overwatch with an auto. They don't take it to the ground, they don't even take it standing up. They just take you out as unfairly to their advantage as possible.

So in actuality, when SCARS was first introduced to the SEALS community, it was used mostly as a psychological means of morale boost, much the same way as bayoneting is, or was, for army folks. SCARS was one of many styles or systems introduced to the community, but the main sticking point many has is that they [SCARS] decided to blow it out of proportion and sell in mass media hype. If you didn't know better, and all you did was read their ads, you'd think that's ALL SEALS ever used. Once again, the do-all end-all pitfall that many fall into.

If you really want to reach "ex-frogman", please e-mail me and I can act as your liason. Yes, the preceeding are my opinions. I have neither the means nor the permissions to prove what I have stated. Please realize that what you have state is your opinon as well.

Normally, I couldn't care less on what other people's opinions are, but I learned years ago that if you give someone bad advice and they got hurt because of it, you're just as responsible for their pain and suffering. It is because of this that I have specifically declined to teach.. unless ordered to do so. While I don't think SCARS is necessarily bad, since it seems to be an mix of techniques from legitimate styles, I personally would never rely on it to save my hide, nor would I recommend it to anyone. And that is why it I am taking part of this discussion.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited September 04, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.02451 seconds with 8 queries