View Single Post
Old March 31, 2011, 09:54 PM   #37
Woodyed

Hi Willy,
Regarding your developing a load for the 300 Weatherby have you tried the Hornady 180 gr. Interbond #30709? It has a BC of 480 and looks like it would do a number on the big bones of an Elk or Moose. Naturally any of the slow powders ( H4831, IMR4831, IMR4350, H4350, etc,) work the best in this caliber but I'm sure you are fully aware of this. You might try these Interbonds and they might even give you more accuracy than the Core-loks (GOD I hated to say that!!). I see that you have already tried the Noslers but seem to be dissatisfied with them so let me also suggest that you might consider Barnes bullets. I haven't been overly satisfied with Barnes bullets but you might like them.
I guess I'm just a Remington Core-lok fan and only in the past 3 years have started to use Hornady Interlocks. For many, many years I've had such good luck with Remington Core-loks on deer and Moose that I've been reluctant to even hunt these animals with anything else. I've used Sierra pro-hunter bullets on deer in my 7mm-08's and I have no complaints with them at all as they performed admirably also.
Something that really hasn't been mentioned much in all any of these posts is the subject of "shot placement". I firmly believe that if a shot is placed in the boiler room of an animal that it's "all over" for that animal whether the bullet was a standard or a premium bullet. I guess there might be instances
where the bullet hits a shoulder blade and doesn't penetrate into the boiler room but usually the shoulder bone is broken anyway and does much internal damage to organs within the boiler room. I myself have hit deer in the shoulder but the bullet went thru the shoulder bone and into the boiler room. Been lucky I guess. God bless those Core-loks anyway.
Maybe getting together to do some shooting in the future Willy might be a good idea. We both will have to dwell on this idea when the weather gets better and maybe gas will be cheaper too.

Page generated in 0.02519 seconds with 8 queries