View Single Post
Old March 24, 2010, 12:17 PM   #14
SuppressingFire

David, I completely agree with you on this.

Way back when I was looking for my first plastic pistol, I wasn't real impressed with the selection on the market at the time. I decided against Glock (even though everyone else seemed to be in love with them) mostly because of the lack of a manual safety, double strike capability, and yes, even the grip angle. However, I've since grown to deal with and actually like most of the new mainstream DAO striker fired pistols (still not in love with Glock's grip angle, though).

In fact, for my next pistol purchase, I was somewhat torn between the XD-M and the M&P. After shooting both, I felt that it would be a long time before I could get used to that funky-ass trigger on the M&P. I'd really hoped that, after all the bad press S&W got from the early Sigma's, their next polymer would have either the Glock-style trigger safety or something other than that hinged set up. Unfortunately for S&W, since that hasn't changed and since there isn't yet an aftermarket "drop in" replacement, I'll be going with an XD-M just as soon as Springfield gets off the pot and releases a .45 ACP version. Not that I consider the Springfield to be a lesser pistol, but the trigger on the S&W is the only issue that kept me from buying it.

I can't help but feel that S&W is really missing out on a lot of sales. My local gun shop is so damn busy lately, that I've walked out of there on more than one occasion because of a ridiculously long line. Considering how many uninformed "newbie" gun buyers I've seen choosing not to buy a good pistol over something trivial or easily fixed like sights, color or magazine capacity, I imagine that there are more than a few who will not buy an M&P strictly because of this unorthodox trigger safety.

Set phasers to "Medium".

Page generated in 0.02956 seconds with 8 queries