View Single Post
Old June 9, 2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Uncle Buck

I tried to run the cases through with no decapping pin to see if it would make a difference. None at all. Usually I can sit in my chair at the bench, pull the handle down and then up and I have a resized, decapped case. This time I have to really get on the handle to push it down and stand up to raise the handle on the press.

Tried both nickle plated and plain brass. Same results.

Although I used both brake cleaner and carb cleaner to try to clean the die, I do notice an awful lot of scoring on the inside of the die. Make the cases I have run through very ugly and scratched looking. Could/should I use a little bit of emery cloth to try and clean it up?

I am using the Hornady One Shot. Same stuff I have used since I started reloading this cartridge.... Brass has never been fired at max loads... Good call on the spring back.

I am stumped and it will be a few days before I get my carbide dies. I am thinking of trying very fine emery cloth, since I am replacing the dies anyway.

Thanks guys.

Note: I put a piece of very fine steel wool on a .40 cal bore bush and ran the thing in my electric drill. Definitely improved the die. I am guessing I did not get the thing clean enough. I put some bore cleaner in it and ran the brush/steel wool at high speed for about a minute.

I ran a few cartridges through two of the .357 Mags and they seem to be fine.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; June 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.02169 seconds with 8 queries