View Single Post
Old January 19, 2007, 10:20 PM   #48
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

OK, so some have asked why I've left this thread open, and some question the seriousness of the matter.

Time for a short story.

A few years ago, one of my people made an arrest. It was pretty routine, a 68 yr. old male wanted on a bench warrant. Seems he didn't appear in court for a traffic violation.

The officer took it casually. He only did a cursory pat down before placing the man in the cruiser. He brought the man into the station, and I noted without further thought that the man seemed a bit preoccupied with his groin area. Strange, but we get all kinds.

After booking, he was transported to the correctional center. Minutes later, I got a call from the Lt. there, and he was furious. It seems this kindly old gentleman had a loaded, .38 spl. J frame tucked away in his crotch.

What's that got to do with this thread? Well, the arresting officer fell into the same trap that we're all susceptible to. We tend to avoid situations that put us in socially or politically uncomfortable situations, and THAT can be a serious tactical weakness. In this situation, the officer did what comes naturally to most of us; he avoided what most would think of as intimate contact with another male. He avoided a pat down of the man's crotch.

Police academies routinely teach a thorough pat down, done in a professional manner, but I constantly have to review cruiser videos, and frequently see officers making this same, potentially deadly mistake.

Granted, few non-LEO's here will have the opportunity to do a pat down or frisk, but you will still instinctively avoid addressing situations that make you uncomfortable. The bathroom situation immediately comes to mind.

Life is gritty. You can't pick and choose the tactical situations you might find yourself in. With that in mind, you can't afford to ignore thinking and planning for them in advance. To do so leaves a huge and potentially fatal gap in your own defenses. If you're going to play ball, make sure you cover all the bases.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.02376 seconds with 8 queries