View Single Post
Old July 7, 2014, 11:51 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

I see this kind of thing (in general) all the time on TV. People's Court, Judge Judy, they deal with these cases all the time.

Usually guns are not involved, it is other property. Essentially, leaving behind property does not automatically mean you are still in residence. These cases are usually (on tv) decided on who can prove what, as to time at residence, and what, if any written contracts are involved.

The landlord has (generally) a right to reasonable storage fees, but not rent, if you don't live there, but leave some property behind.

However, the devil is in the details, and your friend either needs to get a lawyer of his own, or decide if the cost of legally forcing the landlord to return his property is more than the value of the property.

Essentially, either take them to court, or give up on it. It wouldn't be theft, as he left the guns. On the other hand, I'm not a lawyer, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, and just watch TV, so my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Page generated in 0.03409 seconds with 8 queries