View Single Post
Old January 16, 2008, 02:30 AM   #16
Austin Cowart

shocked!

Alrighty I’m not one to usually interject my own opinions but I need some clarity here. Ok I’m a Chef and im failing to see what is trying to be proven here. Japanese kitchen knives were made for 2 primary things veggies and fish. These knives are not superior to western chef’s knives in any way besides being usually more aesthetically pleasing and to have a bit more mysticism behind them. The japanese sword and all of its renditions was made for the purpose of cleaving heavy bone and tissue. The forging practice of japanese smiths was developed due to the extremely poor quality of iron in Japan. Traditional japanese tamishigane steel had to be laminated so that carbon could be distributed evenly in the iron ore. today laminated steel is not needed due to the fact that all modern production steel is monochromium. Laminations are simply asthetic and let me add very very beautiful but in no way functional as is the forging process that they are made. The reason for the japanese forging process was to produce a blade that could be around 26 to 28 inches long and when struck against flesh and bone, or Tatami mats it could cleave as well as bend without snapping in two. for this reason alone the amazing metalugical process of producing blades was born and perfected. Im not trying to rain on anyones parade im just trying to clarify some things. On top of this if a kitchen worker is using their knife to pry anything or "banging" them around then they have no reason to be holding said knife! I knife just like a gun is a tool and should always be respected. Lastly all knives are serated. It is the micoscopic teeth on every edge that allows you to cut. I am sorry for being so defensive but this is my profession and to me i compare this to someone taking a nighthawk custom and using it as a hammer! Different knives have different purposes and they should be respected. now then as far as science goes it would stand to reason that you would take the exact same two knives one with a plain edge variation and the other with serrations and compare them in exactly the same ways.

Sorry guys I just got off work and im about to start doing a little polishing of my own.

Cheers
Austin

Page generated in 0.03559 seconds with 8 queries