View Single Post
Old August 13, 2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Method

Shotshell Reload Question (Crimping)

This past weekend was my inagural foray into reloading. I recently purchased a MEC Sizemaster (12ga), and after getting all other necessary supplies I decided to start reloading from a couple 5 gallon containers full of once-fired AA hulls.

Overall, I have to admit that I've been really happy with the result. I fired 150 rounds on Sunday and had zero failure to fires. There are however, two things I noticed and want to ask some experts about.

1. My crimps seem really good, but there is consistenly a small gap in the very center of the shell. I can see a BB or two, but everything seems secure and nothing falls out. I've seen something similar on a couple of new hulls, but only as an exception to the rule. Should I be worried about this?

2. When placing reloads into my gun for practice Sunday, many slipped right in like a new hull...but a few needed to be pushed in. When I say push, I'm talking about the lightest possible force. I don't have to cram shells in, and the extractors tossed the fired hulls out just like new ones. Again...is this normal for people or do I need to adjust something?

Just in case it makes a difference, here's the recipe I used:

Alliant Clay Dot Powder (17.4gr via MEC bushing #32)
Winchester AA Hulls
Winchester 209 Primer
Claybuster Wad (designed to replace WAA12SL wad)
1oz 8.5 Shot (MEC 302/100 charge bar)

Cheers,
Method

PS: Part of the reason that I'm really happy with the relaoding is cost savings. Based on prices in my local area, I'm saving a dime for every shell I reload.

Last edited by Method; August 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added "PS" Section

Page generated in 0.03133 seconds with 8 queries