View Single Post
Old August 12, 2011, 09:38 AM   #18
kraigwy

Quote:
My shots are all consistently going right (no wind to speak of at 100 yds).
Work on your position and natural point of aim. What is happening is your NPI is off a tad, when you release the trigger, you relax a tad (something that just happens) and you fall to a natural resting place. That natural resting place should be your NPI.

Best way to work on this is dry firing. Get all set, lined up, then close your eyes when you release the trigger. Without moving, open your eyes and see where your sights are lined up. If they arn't lined up perfectly, adjust your postition until they do.

After the hammer drops, and you recover from recoil, the sights should automaticly fall back on the target.

Even in a match (3 min prep period) you have plenty of time to dry fire, closing your eyes, openning them after the hammer falls, to make any corrections in your position.

There is a simple test to see if this is the problem when I'm coaching. Get the shooter into position, have him dry fire, then just before you sqeeze the trigger, hold a card or something in front of your eyes. He lets the hammer fall, then I move the card while he looks over the sights, you can see the shooter wiggle a bit to get back on the target.

If there is no little wiggle or adjustment, then the NPI is good, if there is any wiggle or movement at all, the NPI needs adjusted.

Edit to add: To help understand this, the AR Service Rifle has a 20.25 in Sight Radius. Taking that sight radius, any movement of .0056 of the front sight will move the impact 1 inch at 100 yards. So as you can see, it doesn't take much "falling off the NPI" to cause a shooter to be off.

That is why a NPI of so critical, but the NPI has to be in the relaxed position which a shooter has after firing the shoot. Mussleing can't do it, it has to be a solid position.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; August 12, 2011 at 09:51 AM.

Page generated in 0.02460 seconds with 8 queries