Thread: Mugging Teams
View Single Post
Old November 19, 2005, 04:00 AM   #20
XavierBreath

Quote:
I was wondering what suggestions you folks have to nuetralize the situation......
I've been holding off on submitting a response to these two quite plausible scenerios. I just feel there are two many variables.

However, the one thing that jumps out at me is that you don't have to neutralize the situation! You merely have to survive and escape it. Having the singular response of standing your ground, drawing a gun and shooting is not very savy out there.

The first move on both of these scenerios should be to survive and escape. The first step to doing that is to get to cover. MOVE! If the gun in the car or the guy with a gun in his pants is going to shoot you, make it more difficult by being a moving target. If he has a restraining hold on you, then get out of it. Use big muscle groups against his thumb and he must let go.

At any rate, get some distance, move quickly, and get behind something. Draw your gun while doing so. Your decision to shoot is then dependent on his response to your first act of survival. If he gives up the fight, and leaves, hold your fire. If he advances in any way then you are within your rights to apply lethal force.

From that point onward, my tactics are dictated by the gun in my hand. If I have a 1911 and a spare mag, and I am being shot at while hiding behind a car or dumpster, I might return a couple of shots. If I have a J frame or a 1911 without a spare mag, I will likely lie in wait behind cover, and ambush them if they go on the hunt for me. If possible, I will retreat further as long as I have adequate cover and a decent chance of escape.

I think too many people are too proud and tactical. Courses teach people to shoot. Teaching people to shoot is easy, that's why instructors teach shooting in all it's permutations. Teaching people to survive is much, much more difficult. You seldom see instructors mention survival without shooting. It is glossed over as though anyone could do it. That is not the case though. Survival skills are learned through experience, not from a book or scenerios. There are so many nuances in play on the street that it cannot be contained in a book, a scenerio, or taught on an IDPA range.

When you are attacked, the first object is always to survive. Then you have a choice of whether to launch a counter-attack or to retreat. In today's world, if possible, your best option is retreat, unless the threat has specifically targeted you, and will return for you specifically. Guaranteed, if you kill Chico, even if justified, your weapon will be confiscated, you will not be able to legally acquire another one immediately. You will be sitting at home awake through the night wondering if Chico's homies are capable of doing home invasions, either for revenge or to eliminate witnesses. That is not a good feeling. You placed yourself in greater jeopardy with less tools for survival. You are no longer a random victim, but a hunted one, and a hunted victim that does not have the option of a gun. Remember, goal #1 is survival, not choosing which threat to neutralize.

Law Enforcement has a duty to eliminate threats. Civilians only have a need to avoid or escape them. If you are a civilian, take advantage of the difference. It is a huge advantage.

Page generated in 0.03334 seconds with 8 queries