View Single Post
Old June 26, 2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Chui

Hurt like a SOB. Immediately. Just instant pain. Odd thing(s):

Adrenaline is f$!@g POWERFUL. And addictive.

You only *think* you're conscious of your surroundings in your day-to-day life. Experience intense pain and it's like everything in your periphery is as clear and concise as if you're staring through a microscope. I call it Superconsciousness for lack of terminology. Perhaps you'll/you'd respond differently. I dunno. One thing for sure Pain will cause Mental Clarity for me. Still does. Oh, breathing. Inhale deeply filling your lungs thru your mouth. Hold three ir four seconds. Exhale thru your mouth for one or 1.5 count. Repeat. Don't know where it came from but I later learned this is the so-called "proper" technique.

It's amazing how strong the smell of iron is in blood...

And I cannot speak for others but I heard a voice as clear as I can see my monitor state, "Control your breathing will control your heartrate which will control your blood flow. You'll be just fine." I did and I am. But I had rehearsed this potential event in my mind for quite some time... I think it's called Imagery.

Every heartbeat was painful but not incapcitatingly so and every 40, then 30, then 20... seconds a wave of pain would make me grit my teeth and focus to deal with it. It continued until eventually I went into shock on the ER table. As more blood was lost the more rapid the "wave of pain" came. It also became increasingly intense as time went on. It's Mind or Unconsciousness as time went on. Focus...

Odd thing else: it hurt more than anything else I've felt but I "knew" I could absorb more - not that I'm ever interested mind you.

Other things is that you realize time isn't what you think it is. It felt like days; it was only minutes. Maybe 35 or so.

I could sense as clear as the sun in the sky who in the ER gave a damn and who didn't. Those that did got direct, calm answers. Those that didn't were barked at. No conscious thought of my own was involved in any of this. I could see, smell and hear everything. I kept looking at my vitals on the machine monitoring my blood pressure and heart rate. I was analyzing my condition: elevated heart rate and decreasing blood pressure.

How long before I would have been incapacitated? Maybe 25 minutes. Maybe more. Depending on whether how much blood loss could be diverted. MUCH more important was my psychological state. I was a judoka (one who competes in judo) and a student of jujitsu. I also dabbled in open track events [sports cars on race tracks], autocross, etc. Why is this important? Because I was in great shape and could INTENTLY FOCUS my Mind - while remaining relaxed - at will for 20 minutes or more (one track session) at a time. I also meditated on driving as well as the judo/jujitsu regularly. I was doing both very well. So performing under pressure wasn't new. I also competed in Track & Field at a high level since I was 11 years old. Applying this nurtured ability to anything is the true goal looking back. Athletes should be the best of the best at just about everything they put their minds to. But that's another story/theory/thread for another time.

Caliber: 9mm JHP
Location of Wound: Left Hand

The psychological trauma was far worst then the physical - including surgery, therapy, etc., questioning will you obtain much use out of my damaged hand. If so, how much? I still play judo, jujitsu, shoot (obviously), mountain bike, canoe, kayak, etc. I'd guess I have 70% use (loss of fine motor control) but shooting, grabbing, etc is fine.

I hope ALL get something out of this:
  • Lose control/focus and you die.
  • A bullet not in a vital will NOT kill you immediately.
  • You can take far more punishment than you can imagine and bounce back.
  • You may wish to use visualization techniques of injuries, shootings, ..., anything that will paralyze most persons in fear such that you'll "know what to do" if you ever "meet the elephant" - no matter what "YOUR elephant" may be. Mind over matter - or you'll not long matter.

'Hope this answers your question.

I'd be interested in the psychological aspects of anyone else whose been hit.

Addendum:

I was hit with the jacket of a 9mm while training. It dug into the skin of my leg. It felt sharp but I finished the drill. I didn't think much of it until I could feel the blood trickling down my leg. I managed to pull it out - it was weird because it took a while. It definitely causes a flinch response but I managed to get good hits but they were just left of intended target.

Page generated in 0.03902 seconds with 8 queries