Thread: Need help
View Single Post
Old May 19, 2013, 05:52 PM   #5
big al hunter

Quote:
Any suggestions on a way for us to all learn together?
Hunt together. Practice together and take that hunter education class together. Get some copies of hunting magazines. I have learned several tactics that work well from Peterson's hunting and Field and Stream. They may not be the best source but they always have a few ideas.

Quote:
Good resources for information for the new hunter?
Your states hunting regulations manual/pamphlet is a good start. It covers the laws and restrictions that you need to know. It should be available where you buy hunting and fishing licenses. It should also be available online. Google: hunting regulations in [your state]
Quote:
What weapon/ammo for what type of game
For small game:
squirrel/rabbit 22 long rifle if they hold still, if they are always moving shotguns. I like 12 or 20 gauge with #4 to #6 shot. Check your states regulations to make sure if both are legal to use.

upland birds ( grouse, partridge, quail, pheasant ) I like 12 to 20 gauge shotgun with # 5 to #7 shot depending on the type of bird and conditions.

ducks I use 12 and 20 gauge with steel shot #2 to #4 depending on conditions.

varmints ( gophers to coyotes ) any gun that will reach out and touch them. I use a 223 rem or 243 win.

big game:
deer any rifle/cartridge from 243 win to 300 mag will do the job.
black bear same as deer.
moose I would use at least a 30-06, others will say smaller, some will say bigger. Use good bullets and put them in the right place and any 7mm/280 cartridge should do the job.

Page generated in 0.03612 seconds with 8 queries