View Single Post
Old November 26, 2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Sparks2112

Encounter In Wal-Mart parking lot

A repost of something I put up on ohioccwforums.org today.

So, two nights ago my wife (5 1/2 months pregnant) and I were at the Wal-mart Super Center, on Colerain Ave. right by Ronald Reagan Highway for those of you in Ohio, trying to pick up a couple of things for a photo shoot we had the next day.

Anyway, we come out of the store and it's about 11:30 pm. from my 7-8:30 o'clock position I catch some movement and see a guy in an over sized parka kind of moving our direction at about 30-40 yards out. Almost as soon as I notice him (and probably right about when he knows I've noticed him) he shouts something like "Hey can I talk to you guys for a second." At this point my wife notices him and moves from my left side, where the guy was approaching from to my right side away from the guy (I was really happy with her that she did this without being told seeing as I previously thought teaching her to think tactically was impossible.)

I stop, turn to place him at my 12 o'clock, sit down the two bags I had in my weak side hand on the pavement and say "No, you can't." At this point my hands are at my sides and I'm just trying to relax and take everything in in case something actually does happen; i.e. which direction am I moving us, where's the nearest cover, where's the nearest concealment, etc...

He stops for a second and literally turned his head to the side (if you own a dog you know what I'm talking about) like he couldn't figure out that I just said no, and stopped moving. After a second of sizing me and my obviously pregnant wife up he started moving towards us again closing to about 20-25 yards at a fast walk/trot. At this point I moved my coat out of the way, held it back with my strong side arm, and put my hand on my still holstered gun. I carry iwb in an MTAC and still had my cover shirt over top of it, so at this point I'm just indexing with my hand to make sure I know where it's at. Left hand was on the surefire 6P in my coat pocket.

At this point I see the gentleman stop and really look hard at where my hands are at. He looked up at me, down at my hands again, then back up and said "Hey forget it man." He turned around, and got in a sedan that was about 5-10 yards from his position, which I hadn't seen, that had been idling with it's lights off behind a large van. He drove off pretty quick, and my wife and I made it back to our car with no further incident.

So, pay attention guys. I don't think that would have gone well for me had he been able to sneak up on me the way he wanted to.
J.M. Johnston

Page generated in 0.06271 seconds with 8 queries