Thread: First reloads
View Single Post
Old July 14, 2000, 03:42 PM   #3
JackFlash

I've been using a Uniflow for ball pistol powders and get consistent loads for hundreds of rounds without adjustment.

One tip for loading some powders it to tap the hopper a couple times before throwing the charge. When you toss the lever to the up position, ensure that it again taps the end of the range and shakes the hopper a bit. Then tap the other end of the range when throwing the lever down to release the charge. This impact should settle extruded powder.

When measuring powder, it's important to follow a consistent procedure: Two taps on the hopper, toss up, toss down. Two taps . . . etc. That way you should get a consistent charge.

Weigh your charges every ten rounds or so. When setting up the Uniflow, I weigh a charge maybe five times before loading just to see how consistenly the measure is working.

With ball powder I estimate that my charges are within +/- 0.01 gr. thoughout the loading.

Buy a quality scale. I haven't tried the electronic scales, but I like the mechanical beam RCBS. I keep it boxed when not in use and treat it like the precision tool that it is. Set it up on a stable, level surface.

I loaded for a while without a micrometer -- revolver ammo. When I moved to semi-auto reloads I discovered a need for a good verneer caliper (micrometer). Don't skimp. Get the stainless steel model, not the plastic. Pawn shops that deal in tools often have used calipers, but you need to check them for wear and nicks in the jaw faces. They need to be kept in their case and stored in a secure location. Treat it like a good gun or a nice watch.

Reload equipment lasts forever if cared for. Think of whatever additions you make to your gear as lifetime investments. Fine tools.

Page generated in 0.03591 seconds with 8 queries