View Single Post
Old January 1, 2013, 11:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer's Match:
Most common loads for each caliber I would guess.
Exactly.

Rather than attempt an exhaustive comparison of all calibers and their respective bullet weights, I simply went with the 9mm and .45ACP FMJs that most of us typically find on the shelves in the big box stores.

If anyone wants a specific weight of a non-expanding design bullet put through the ringer (a penetration depth vs permanent crush mass chart), I'd be happy to do so.

JHPs are out unless I have water test data- expanded diameter, retained weight, and impact velocity to work with; that's what the Schwartz bullet penetration model requires to work with JHPs, if they expand.

Here's an example of such a chart from another forum-

Winchester Ranger 9mm 127 gr. +P+ JHP vs. water medium:

9mm Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+ JHP (RA9TA) - no barrier, water test medium

Recovered Projectile Data:

Average Recovered Diameter: 0.605 inch
Retained Mass: 115 grains
Impact Velocity: 1250 feet per second

Predicted Terminal Performance:

Penetration Depth (S) = 28.09 cm (11.06 inches)
Permanent Wound Cavity Mass (MPC) = 44.39 grams (1.57 ounces)

In the following Velocity/KE chart- each chart division is equal to about 2.8mm of bullet travel:

Not surprisingly, the exit velocity predicted by the Schwartz bullet penetration model is 153.9 fps after passing through 10 inches of soft tissue (corresponds to the 91st and 92nd divisions of the chart above) - well below the 294.3 fps required for it to break the skin of, and re-enter, another body according to the US Army skin penetration model that I've been using to determine such stuff.

Last edited by 481; January 1, 2013 at 04:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.03410 seconds with 8 queries