Thread: Blown primer!
View Single Post
Old July 6, 2013, 03:33 PM   #21
Paul B.

The fact that Remington called back and agreed to replace the ammo tells me something. Just out of curiosity, did you give them the lot number for that batch of ammo? Could it have been a lot that was recalled because of pressure problems. Many times, they say, "Pressure in some of the cartridges have been shown to be excessive." or something similar. Looking at the belt on that cartridge I'd guess whoever said pressure was probably 90,000 PSI was close to being spot on although I'm inclined to think it might be higher.
It sure is a graphic testimony to the strength of the M700 Remington though.
Dunno if you can do a google search for recalled ammo in the period 1989 to 1999 but it might be interestig to see if your ammo is listed, should you find such a listing.
If you can find a copy of "Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition" by Earl C. Naramore, about the ffirst hald dof he book covers how factory ammo is loaded and the rest on loading ammo yourself. It is a bit dated but other than the process of cartridges being charged by an automated method, it would surpise me if it was all that much different. A lot of the reloading info is also dated but quite handy. I once said anyone who wanted to handload ammo should read that book. I haven't changed my mind. problem is finding a copy.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.03414 seconds with 8 queries