View Single Post
Old August 6, 2012, 11:40 AM   #22
Ben Towe

The fragility of caseless ammo is it's biggest drawback. It works in an Abrams tank, because, well, it's an Abrams tank and virtually nothing in the world but other Abrams can destroy it. Not the same for an infantry soldier. It would turn into a really bad day if you dove for cover and broke all that nice caseless ammo all to pieces.

Rail guns on Naval ships could be a potential, but anti-ship cruise missiles may have already condemned them. I also doubt you'll see any real Naval spending and upgrades until another Naval power rivals ours, which is decades away at best, and may be almost unattainable at worst; the sheer tonnage required to even come close would take many years to build.

Optics will continue to evolve, as they have rather rapidly over the last thirty years. I would love to see reasonably priced rangefinding scopes. Not really sure I'm up for laser guided bullets though, that kind of takes the fun away.

We might see limited use of electrically fired ammunition for long range competition, for the simple reason of it's huge reduction in lock time.

Page generated in 0.03038 seconds with 8 queries