View Single Post
Old February 26, 2014, 02:46 AM   #13
MoGas1341

To certain extent, yes...

I believe you have to put different firearms into 'groups' or 'families' if you will...

For example, a bolt action rifle, and lets use Ruger as an example. A Ruger American is not nearly as nice as a Ruger M77 with a laminate stock etc. They are made by the same company, but in a different 'trim level' so to say.

I would compare this to a Ford F-250 with a Powerstroke (work truck) or an F-250 with a King Ranch package... Same truck, one has a prettier wrapper!

I do believe however, that there is a point in price (and I haven't figured out where exactly it is, and if someone knows, please enlighten me) when you get into paying for decoration, name, etc, versus accuracy and dependability...

An example I would use on this topic is the Winchester Select Field 101 O/U I have. I payed $1000 for it 3 years ago NIB. If you handed me a $5000 Krieghoff (I wish) and told me to go shoot dove or skeet with it would I be able to tell you what the $4000 difference is? NO. I don't know how the Krieghoff's pattern, but I'm 100% happy/impressed with my 101. As far as reliability goes, well, it's kinda hard to make a hammerless O/U 'unreliable', or more reliable (than what I'm using) IMHO.

Krieghoff makes some fine guns no doubt, but I don't feel one would make me a better shotgunner.

To answer the OP's question, as price goes up, pay attention to the options getting added from the manufacturer's 'base model' such as free floated barrels, glass bedding, stock quality, jeweled bolts, bluing quality etc and then compare to what other manufacturers offer in the same price range. Some options are for accuracy, some for reliability (mainly in the pistol world) and some just to look pretty.

Page generated in 0.03491 seconds with 8 queries