View Single Post
Old October 3, 2013, 03:42 PM   #48
Double Naught Spy

Same deal here, Skans, but nobody was injured. Big open rooms are easier to get an idea of sound orientation than a building with lots of hallways that interconnect like many schools, plants, or office buildings.

That nobody reacted is fairly typical. Nothing like being at a gun show full of tacticool condition yellow 24/7 types and watch them all stand around like idiots waiting to be the next person shot. Of course, I felt like an idiot because I was hunkered down when nobody else was. My buddy said to me, "What, you thought you might get shot?"

Several things go on with this sort of mentality. There is the initial confusion and processing of what went on and what should be done. 10 seconds is a long time. I would say it was closer to 15 where I was and nobody responded until security entered the hall and made their way toward the event.

So people stood around like zombies, waiting to see what would happen next, or maybe they didn't understand. Either way, they engaged in the same sort of behavior reported time and again at these events where people express initial confusion or outright disbelief that anything bad could be happening. They are more apt to assume that the noise or noises was something not dangerous than something dangerous.

While I could tell direction, I had no idea of distance. People pointed toward two different corners, which I found interesting. I think that had to do with the fact of the echo of the report that they heard. Both corners were on the same end of the building, but depending on where you were, the direction of the shot seemed to vary.

Apparently, if you hear one shot, there is no reason to be concerned because another one is not likely to follow. That is what was explained to me by one of the vendors. I thought this was great. You know some idiot just discharged a gun, but you don't know with the first shot if it was accidental or intentional, and so you wait to decided on seeking safety only after reverifying the threat which occurs with multiple shots. Apparently, nobody wants to be the first to run if it turns out the discharge wasn't intentional.

So people will stand still and quiet for an extended period of time, like perfect targets...

Yeah, I thought I might get shot. Shots are not supposed to ring out at gun shows.

Page generated in 0.03149 seconds with 8 queries