View Single Post
Old August 17, 2013, 05:41 PM   #5
AID_Admin

Dave, you need to take in consideration that when you are on the revolver forum, most members are hard core revolver users. Revolvers have a certain feel to them where for most shooters consider 3"-4" barrels most balanced. Anything longer tends to be called barrel heavy. Thus usually there is no "back heavy" term, instead that feeling is called "balanced". Just a play of words I guess.

As to what barrel to choose, 6" is easier to aim than 4". It's not more accurate, at least at the closed range distances, but it does make a bit of difference on the accuracy and tightness of the groupings... at least for me. However, from what I've heard some competitions do not allow anything longer than 4". If you ever plan to compete, you need to look into it. If not, I think you may be happier with a 6" for pure target shooting.

I came across more than a few salesmen who would not allow to dry fire a revolver. There is an easy solution. Any time I go to the store I put a set of snap caps in my pocket. I was trying a Python in the store once, opened a cylinder and pulled my snap caps asking salesmen if I could dry fire the gun. He went into a state of shock for a few seconds and then replied... "sure!" I dry fired it a few times and gave the gun back. At that point he said "Thank you for using caps. We usually do not allow dry fire revolvers, but with caps it's a different story. You are the first person who offered it." I smiled and left.

Page generated in 0.03556 seconds with 8 queries