View Single Post
Old January 16, 2010, 04:42 PM   #5
madmag

Quote:
But how do you compare a 3-watt LED, to a 240 lumen LED, to the LED insert for my 4-Dcell Maglite, and etc.
I have both, Huge difference. The 240 lumen LED like my Cree beats the 3-watt hands down. But the 3-watt is still very useful.

I go along with the 80 lumen as a starting level. The good news is bright LED's are now a lot cheaper and can be had from stores like Target, etc. I do have a Surefire that is in the 220 lumen range, but it's powered by CR123's. I also have lights in the 80-200 range that are powered by either AA or C cells. I really like that because you don't feel limited by cost running these all you want.

Tactical light is a broad term. I think is usually means a light with more flood that spot or throw. This type of light is great for confined areas like sweeping rooms etc. Lights with good throw are needed for searching distance but tend not to have a lot of side spill for close work.

For low cost go to Target and look at the Life+Gear lights, River-rock, or Inova. For higher cost look for Surefire or equal. In that league I have a Wolf-eyes rechargeable lithium light that gets in the 250 lumen range, but cheap it's not.

Another good dealer I have dealt with and also recommend.

http://www.lighthound.com/

Last edited by madmag; January 16, 2010 at 04:48 PM.

Page generated in 0.02361 seconds with 8 queries