View Single Post
Old October 18, 2000, 09:30 AM   #5
M1911

I agree with the others here. DO NOT DEPEND on the gun's safeties to keep your child (and any other children who visit your home) safe. Get a lock box.

I can't see why a condition 1 M1911 would be any more or less safe than Beretta 96 on safe. I don't think the presence of a grip safety will make much of a difference at all. If your child gets hold of the gun while unsupervised, you've already lost the war. What you need to do is to prevent the child from getting hold of the gun in the first place.

A curious child will eventually figure out how to make ANY gun go bang. If the gun isn't on your hip, it should be secured. A lock box will give you quick access to a loaded firearm. Note that a trigger lock cannot be used on a loaded gun.

There are many lock boxes around, including the GunVault, which you can order from a variety of places, including Dillons:
http://www.gunvault.com/

Regarding storing guns up high, children learn at an early age to drag chairs around and climb up on a chair. That may protect you for a year or two, but that's it. There's no reason not to choose a more secure solution right now.

M1911

Page generated in 0.02481 seconds with 8 queries