View Single Post
Old September 13, 2012, 02:19 AM   #47
TheKlawMan

I thought I should cap this off in case someone shopping for glasses sees it. This is written after I running a few hundred shot shells through it.

The only real trouble I had was that they slipped down on my nose, but there was a mistake in the shipment. 45 mm cable temples were ordered but the glasses shipped with 55's. Tom asked me to try them for a couple of weeks and then if I wanted he would send me the 45's. I e-mailed him today and he replied that they will ship to me tomorrow. I doubt that they will slip with the 45 mm temples.

There was a small fissure on the perimeter of one of the tinted lenses and Tom of Texas Shooters Optical is sending me a new set of tinted lenses.

Before I got them a question was raised about cleaning them. I haven't shot in the rain, but shot on three days with high humidity and 100 degree temperatures. The combination of sweat and probably sun block did accumulate on the inside of the prescription lenses, but was easily cleaned without needing to remove the outer non-prescrtipion polycarbonate lenses. (The Ranger XLW's have tinted nonprescription outer lenses made from polycarbonate and inner clear lenses. Since my prescription is fairly stong, I went with high index clear plastic lenses instead of C-39's. the idea is that if my script changes, I only have to get a set of lenses for the inserts and need not replace sets of outer tinted lenses.)

I am glad I went with glasses with an adjustable nose bridge. It has three positions. I shoot with them on postion 3, which is the extended position. This raises them up extra high, which I need else I will be looking over the optical center of the lenses. Some people may set it on the middle positon for things such as shooting a pistol or driving a car. I imagine some people could also use it for shotgunning; especially with a Monte Carlo stock. Thought I mainly shoot trap, I use a skeet gun. Position 1 is for looking down as when golfing.

Before getting them I discovered that some people had posted about trouble seeing the nose bridge in their peripheral vision. After the first day it wasn't a problem for me.

If you can afford to swap out all your colored lenses when your prescription changes, I would go with another model such as Ranger Edges or another brand without prescription inserts. While these come with the inserts (or you can order them without inserts), I may later try using them with contacts.
The insert frames are easily removed with a screwdriver supplied with the glass kit.

I followed the advice of most and went with mono focus distance lenses. I can read a little with them, but they are actually for shooting and I like the way I can see the target much more sharply with them then I did with progressive glasses.

One thing. Some mentioned them being heavy, which is one reason for getting high index lenses, for which I was only charged an additional $30. So far I have shot 6 boxes with them in near 100 degree heat and 70% plus humidity and I didn't notice the weight. In fact I kept forgetting whether I was wearing my street glasses or the Rangers.

That's about it.

Page generated in 0.02179 seconds with 8 queries