View Single Post
Old February 27, 2011, 10:36 AM   #12
Bigdog57

Bamaranger, you are remembering the Erma/Iver Johnson 22M1 Carbine. Neat little carbine, with mixed reliability according to various owners - some love them and some don't. I had one that was stolen - it had function problems til I found the easy fix.
Later I got my little Marlin 99M1 - not nearly as much like an M1 Carbine but a fun little 'bunny buster'. Light and handy. Fortunately still has the groove-mounted rearsight, that goes missing on many and CANNOT be found for any price! I like it better than a scope for the 'close encounters' with Brer Rabbit.
The Marlin 989M2 has the Model 70 action with detachable magazine. Still hoping to luck into one someday.
The biggest things to be aware of on Model 60 type actions is:
1) When stripping for cleaning, be very careful to NOT kink the recoil spring when reassembling it. This can result in functioning issues.
2) Check the white nylon buffer inthe rear of the lower action assembly - this can crack after many years, but can be replaced. Also the feed block can sometimes wear out, and is replaceable. Numrich should have these parts, and you'll specify the 'old' model, not the new. There are some differences over the years in production.

Page generated in 0.02425 seconds with 8 queries