View Single Post
Old February 5, 2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFNoDak
This ties in nicely with how the "do gooders" in power are more dangerous than a tyrant. Tyrants eventually lose interest in oppressing their subjects. However, do gooders in power never rest in their desires to control our lives as they do so with "good intentions".
I don't recall too many tyrants losing interest in oppressing their people. That's a very strange saying.

Do-gooders can be problematic in their own right, but I'm pretty confident that tyrants don't quit being tyrants.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with do-gooders is that there's always another problem that needs to be fixed. They never realize that you eventually get far enough down the list that a "problem" is really just a matter of freak accidents and uncontrollable circumstances.

There's always more to fix.

The recent requirement (I think it's a NY thing) that the inlet pumps on pools have protective screens on them to keep kids from getting their arms stuck and drowning is a good example. Is it tragic when it happens? Yes, it is but it's a rare, rare event and it's not really "new".

One must wonder, why is it suddenly an issue? Because the do-gooders finally made it that far down the list. They made it through all the stuff that kills 10,000 kids a year (and needed to be fixed) and all the other "real" problems and now they're down on the things that kill like 3 people a decade. Freak accident stuff.

But, their "do-goodery" knows no bounds and the rest of us are uncaring animals for daring to question if we really need to make a law that every pool inlet pipe has a protective screen.

Then, there's some other issue below pool screens, that even they haven't thought of yet because the pool screens got their attention.

It never ends.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.03321 seconds with 8 queries