View Single Post
Old July 14, 2012, 05:23 AM   #1
Ike666

Adventures in Stainless Steel Tumbling

I just tumbled two batches of Lake City milsurp brass in my Thumler's. Both batches were from the same batch of LC brass (05 headstamps). I use two Tbsps of Dawn and 1/4 tsp of Lemi Shine in the tub along with the water.

I tumbled both batches for about 48 hours (busy doing other stuff and the tumbler sits out in the garage).

When they came out, one batch was a bright golden hue and the other had a definite reddish cast to it. I'm just wondering why the subtle difference.

On a completely different note of things you get fascinated with whilst doing mundane tasks; after I had rinsed and cleaned the brass and was pouring off the water to dump the pins back into the tumbler I noticed that with every pour some of the pins would float. It was an interesting lesson in surface tension. As I was pouring and the water would come up from below, three or four pins would "float" up off of the batch. The first time I thought it was a little piece of plastic. When I realized what was happening, I spent another ten minutes of my life recreating a middle school science project. The most I could catch with the surface tension at a time was seven. Just cool to watch.

Page generated in 0.03545 seconds with 8 queries