View Single Post
Old February 15, 2014, 07:45 PM   #55
WilliamDahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneinFL View Post
Maybe after we strike down may issue, we can get states to offer permits to out of state residents. That would be a step.
I've noticed that not all states allow an out-of-state person to get a license in their state. I've also noticed a trend where some states will not recognize another state's license holder unless the person is a resident of that other state.

If you look at this map, you'll see (indicated by the dark blue) that there is a large area of the US where the states only issue CHLs to their own residents.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

One of the problems is that states change who they recognize. These websites help a lot, but ultimately it is our own responsibility to check with each state that we might be passing through on a trip to see if our CHL is recognized by that state. Or you can just take your chances and hope that you won't be stopped for "revenue enhancement" while you are passing through a state.

As far as I know, every state recognizes the license plates and inspection stickers (or lack thereof) of every other state. As far as I'm concerned, CHLs should be the same way.

Now, I can remember back in the old days when states had agreements amongst themselves that allowed the revenue enhancement to be enforced. If you got stopped in a state that did not have an agreement with your state, the revenue enhancement officer would arrest you for a simple speeding ticket, have your car towed, and you would have to make bail to get out of jail. Of course, this lead to some people who were stopped just asking the officer if they could "just pay the fine now in cash". Whether that cash made it back to the general coffers, is another issue entirely. I've used that technique when driving in Mexico over the years. Yeah, it's bribery, but it's CHEAP bribery, so it's OK.

Page generated in 0.02439 seconds with 8 queries