View Single Post
Old February 28, 2013, 10:30 AM   #15
brinker

1903 springfield

It looks like you have a 6 digit number there, and a rock island. if your relation was in WW2, with a rebarrel in 18 the numbers your reading just don't match. I would not sell that weapon, How does the barrell look and rifleing the round spacing!take it to a gunsmith, he can get the numbers out for you. your bolt looks like a sway back, and quite possibly a CMP bolt, they sold alot of them. I've never seen a reciever ID in that bad of shape,and the other parts in that good of shape,I think if it's taken apart you will find the trigger and bottom plate will need a little wood work to recess it properly, Back to the identification, that stamp was done deep! and usually a die penetrant process will bring out your numbers, and I personelly think it will be a 6 digit number, some owners would say it's illegal to own, due to the condition of the serial number, In 1968 I was snorkling of the coast of Okinawa another diver found a japaneese bolt action rifle. The south china sea had really done a job on it. I never did see it after it was cleaned up. no telling how long it had been in the water. I loved it on Okinawa best kept secret in the military. Good luck you have a nice 1903 there. Be safe and shoot clean Sunny

Page generated in 0.02691 seconds with 8 queries