View Single Post
Old September 16, 2011, 12:43 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't quite understand how a gun expert (or anyone else today) could possibly know what "it was supposed to be marked..." especially down to the SA group. (The SA was not the SS, BTW.) The absence of proof marks indicates that the gun was never proven, but that is all it indicates.

As to the mag catch held by a screw, maybe I am the ignorant one, but I have never seen any other kind. The condition does not appear especially good. It looks to me like it was buffed at some time and cold blued. I wonder if the gun was taken "in the white" with no finish and then blued later. The wood grips are interesting, as only the very late guns were made that way, after the plastics suppliers suffered an "economic downturn" (i.e., bombings) and went out of business.

This will be my last contribution on this thread. I have to sort of wonder why the OP posted at all. His gun expert has already told him not only what the gun is, how rare it is, and what was supposed to be marked on it, and his family story has provided all the other possible information. He has accepted it all without question and refuses to believe anything else. So what more could I or anyone here possibly contribute?

Jim

Page generated in 0.03058 seconds with 8 queries