View Single Post
Old March 25, 2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Gator Weiss

You cant beat that falling block action.

If you want a good quality, authentically styled BPCR in single-shot form, the falling block action is probably the longest lasting and safest action you will find.

Many of the Sharps copies are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Also, the Ruger #3 can be obtained in BPCR chamberings and it will last you a lifetime. The Sharps style rifles look better and to some, they feel better. The ruger offers modern steel and retains value, and there are plenty of potential buyers for the#3 if you need to liquidate it if you decide you dont like it.

The 45-70 is a good cartrdige for you to begin with. There is plenty of components out there for it, plenty of brass, and it is easy to load.

If you want something different, something expensive and excellent, try Shiloh Sharps rifles. You can get them in the good old 45-70 or you can go all the way to the big 50-140. They cost a king's ransom, but they look fantastic, they shoot fantastic, and the steel and wood in them is good stuff.

If you are just experimenting, find one of the little break-over H&R topper style guns in 45-70. H&R is not making them, another company has the patterns and is making them - I cant remember the name - but it is the model 158 topper pattern style breakover. They are ugly, they feel a little strange to shoulder and fire, but they most certainly work very well and they do last. They are by no means "authentic" in old world style. But you can get different barrels for it, and you can experiment with it.

Trapdoor is a favored gun by many - my first rifle ever was a trapdoor and I still have it and enjoy it - but you have to keep in mind the action can be weak and you have to keep those loads relatively down. Wonderful rifles and carbines in the trapdoor, but you have to know what you are doing if you intend to load your own cartridges for this rifle.

A rifle that I have been searching for is the 1888 Siamese Mauser conversions that Navy Arms sold off years ago - these were converted to 45-70. Hard to find, but an excellent conversion.

Another attractive idea is the Gibbs Summit rifle - enfiled bolt action conversion to 45-70. Gunsmith can ream that chamber out very quickly to accept 45-90, and that will fit into the magazine well with no modification. It is no longer being produced, but occasionally you run across them on auction sites.

Page generated in 0.03685 seconds with 8 queries