View Single Post
Old January 30, 1999, 12:20 PM   #15
Jeff White

I'm going to agree with Michael. The failure was one of tactics. And perhaps a little overconfidence. They knew the RBBGs were armed with the Mini and shotguns, but they didn't have "hard" body armor, long guns, or enough help to effect an arrest without violence. All of these things were available to them. They turned down the help of the SWAT team.

I think the only way to affect the arrest of these two, without casualties would have been to approach them from a position of overwhelming force. I think the suspects probably would have chosen to shoot it out even in that situation rather then go to prison, but friendy casualties could have been kept down.

I don't understand why a better plan for the arrest didn't exist. The FBI was uncanny in it's ability to find the RBBGs, but it seems to me that they were "winging" the arrest portion of the operation.

Why wasn't the FBI's own SWAT unit used to affect the arrest? Two of the agents were SWAT members.

It seems to me that the suspects could have been followed or chased into position where hey ran into the overwhelming force of a SWAT unit manning a road block. If SWAT had been notified and was standing by this could have been set up by radio.

I think the entire stop/arrest attempt was flawed and all the CNS shot attempts or more powerful weapons might not have made much of a difference.

Jeff

Page generated in 0.03170 seconds with 8 queries