Thread: Cross domanince
View Single Post
Old April 15, 2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

We limit our Basic Handgun classes to 12 students, and we usually have between two and four who are cross dominant.

We find dealing with cross dominance with handgun is fairly straight forward. One of our instructors is cross dominant, and he shows students how to just turn the head slightly, lining up the dominant eye with the sights. It works for him. It works for our students. And it works for me (and our other instructors) when shooting with our non-dominant hand.

When teaching wing shooting, we've used the trick of putting tape on one lens of the student's shooting glasses. That can work well, but I don't like to use that device for handgun. Self defense with a handgun tends to be a "come as you are" proposition.

Some people have a weak dominance. Although one eye is dominant, if fatigue sets in the non-dominant eye will start to take over. My wife's like that. She's left handed and left eye dominant, but only weakly so. So when shooting trap or sporting clays she puts a bit of tape on the right lens of her shooting glasses to prevent her right eye from taking over as she tires.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02834 seconds with 8 queries