View Single Post
Old July 25, 2011, 04:06 PM   #11
GWS

F. Guffy--Your link illustrates one of the aggravations of the internet...some info stays available for 10 years and is never updated.

It's a really good article about the Hornady AP but it's dated, and some parts have been upgraded. For example, if you desire the feature, both the Horn. AP and the RCBS Pro 2000 NOW can expand and charge pistol on the same Station 2 if one buys the kits to do so.

There are more threads on the three forums I hang around, about AP problems than any other brand. But to be fair, with the lower price and free bullets offered, (Hornady seems to be outselling even Dillon right now) there may be more chances that somebody has problems.

I don't have anything against any of the progressives, they all do the job well if one takes the time to learn to use them. More important is finding the one that fits your reloading style and needs best. There are many people who have Hornady's primer problems and case feeder problems under control....and some that don't... If you can think things out and excel at using common sense, you can make them sing! Many do.

If you plan to load a lot of calibers, especially if you want to change calibers really often, the easiest press to change over quickly, is the Pro 2000. Why? It's simple...fewer moving parts, no case feeder to adjust and change over. The absolutely simple primer rod to unscrew and screw back in. No primer tubes to refill, and with only releasing a spring you can lift off, dump, and refill the powder measure. And best of all, nothing can go out of sync. Yes, there's a little price to pay for that simplicity. Without a case feeder it loads a tad slower....at least until you add a bullet feeder.

But keep in mind...both case feeders and bullet feeders are expensive add ons.

One more thing: If I had a Hornady, I'd buy their bullet feeder. It works with less effort and fewer glitches than their case feeder, and accomplishes the same speed increase.

In fact I did buy their bullet feeder.........I use it on my RCBS Pro 2000!

With the simple mod I made to micro-switch it and give it windows, look how fast it is to change from .45ACP to .40 S&W: Video
Stock without the mods, it's even faster.

Last edited by GWS; July 25, 2011 at 04:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.02880 seconds with 8 queries