View Single Post
Old July 5, 2010, 08:35 AM   #19
dahermit

What precipitated my post was:
Years ago, I purchase a new Colt .38 Super Combat Commander. After shooting the gun for awhile, I noticed that the locking lugs on top of the barrel were being deformed just behind the front locking surfaces. Having many guns, going back to college, divorcing, moving to Southern Michigan, after several years( it was a series 70). I decided to take it to a Gun Store with a gun smith and have the problem fixed.

The "gunsmith" told me that I needed a new slide, as that was the problem. they installed a new slide. After awhile, I decided that I should replace the damaged barrel also, which they did.

Being old, forgetful, and not shooting that gun much (I used it for a hidden, loaded, bedroom gun), I had forgotten that the new barrel was not damaged. But, the picture of the damaged lugs on the barrel were still vivid in my mind, and I though that I had better replace the barrel. I ordered a new barrel. It arrived, and I Begin to research timing of a 1911. Upon disassembly, I found that the barrel I had replaced by the "gunsmith", was NOT damaged. In short, I did not really need to replace the barrel again.

It would seem from what I have learned from these posts and from the 1911 site, is that it was likely a timing issue, not a "bad slide" issue.

Nevertheless, having researched 1911 timing, I found myself engrossed with the intricacies, and wanted to learn as much as I could.

So, that is why my posts may seem confusing, At first I anticipated replacing the barrel, but at later point, I just wanted to learn.
Thanks for the information.

Page generated in 0.02292 seconds with 8 queries