View Single Post
Old March 15, 2006, 03:49 AM   #52
DunedinDragon

There's no doubt that we can all be armchair quarterbacks in this situation and come up with a better approach to handling this situation, but we weren't there and we didn't experience the situation, so we can only guess at what our reactions would have been.

I do think what this situation points out is that having a CCW carries with it a responsibility to be well-trained, and not just well trained in shooting, but well trained in all the dimensions that come into play in a situation like this. A lot of gun owners are crack shots, but don't have a clue about the specifics of self-defense laws in their state. That's every bit as much a part of training as learning how to shoot well or understanding the difference between cover and concealment. And that, from my reading of this account, was the weak link in this guy's training. He just wasn't sure. And with guys like Mas Ayoob escalating the fear factor about the ramifications of being in a shootout, it's no wonder that some people might have second thoughts and hesitate when they shouldn't. I'm not suggesting that Mr. Ayoob doesn't have valid points. He does. But he speaks in generalities whereas each state has specific boundaries and ramifications that need to be well understood in order for a person to be confident in their actions.

Page generated in 0.03176 seconds with 8 queries