View Single Post
Old July 25, 2013, 11:11 AM   #86
rmbrad

Having instructed many ladies to shoot over the years as both an NRA instructor and NRA/USAS coach, I have picked up some things. First off they don't have the upper body strength, they have a different center of gravity, and their hands are smaller than guys. These things all play into how they shoot. There is a technique that will help with slide operation. It is best to practice this with an unloaded firearm. The very first thing I teach is trigger finger off the trigger and along side the frame. Stand with the muzzle facing down range. grip the firearm with the shooting hand, and bring the off hand over the top of the firearm and grip the slide. bring the firearm up to chest level and push with both hands shooting hand is pushing the grip frame forward, and off hand is pushing the slide back. My Wife had problems shooting my 1911 until she learned this method. The big thing about "which gun" is how much will they handle this firearm? Will they be able to put it into action in the middle of the night when someone kicks in the door? The actions to operate an automatic must be natural and instant. Do they have to look at the firearm to remember which is the safety, and which the slide lock? Revolvers don't have these things so may be the better choice. I would stay away from the very short barreled revolvers, and the ultra lite models. The recoil and muzzle blast can be intimidating in even .38 cal. Some shooters that have had a gun store guy sell them on one of these guns have had trouble shooting them. I let them shoot my 3" all steel J frame, or my SP-101 and they have no problems. I would tell you to find a shooting range with a good instructor that lets you shoot various guns. Take your wife to the class. When she is done with the class, she will know what she likes and what she can shoot well.

Page generated in 0.03028 seconds with 8 queries