View Single Post
Old October 28, 2010, 10:12 PM   #231
Buzzcook

My only disagreement with the original thesis is that government training is worthless.

There are lots of examples of government training people in complex skills, including the use of firearms.

Not only military and police either. One of the shooting classes I took was through a city park.
There is no reason that some government agency couldn't be involved in training shooters. The parks system is already set up to train people by the thousands.

No I am not speaking of or for mandatory training.

My granddaughter took eight weeks of swim lessons for $55. The taxes of the folk in my county took up the rest of the freight. The same idea is true of hunters safety class another example of good government training
I don't see why accessible quality firearm training couldn't be done the same way.
I think that is also an initiative that would find support amongst people that support gun control.

On another topic in this thread. I don't think morality is involved. We have a simple self interest to increase our ability to protect ourselves.
We also have a legal responsibility to not harm others. That responsibility may be mitigated by other factors, but it still remains. If we can show that we have trained for the unlikely event of a shoot out, it can be argued that we have shown due diligence. Our responsibility in collateral damage would be further mitigated.
Morality is all well and good till someone has you strap on an explosive vest.

Page generated in 0.02999 seconds with 8 queries