Thread: 6.5 carcano????
View Single Post
Old August 12, 2010, 05:34 PM   #21
Toolman

I agree with Jim Keenan

"It is a "sporterized" Model 1891 rifle. Thousands of them were modified just like that by U.S. importers, with the barrel cut down and the front sight put back on the shortened barrel. The handguard was removed and the stock cut down to sporting rifle length. The bolt handle was originally straight but was bent down and back as part of the conversion. Notice also that there is a rear sling swivel, but no front one; the band which held it was discarded when the stock was cut down.

No Italian carbines had that "ski ramp" rear sight (which, incidentally is not properly adjusted for the short barrel), and none had the bolt bent in exactly that way.

Jim

I own and am in the process of restoring a 6.5, model 1894, Carcano Cavalry Carbine. I didn't know what it was when I aquired it.
I did a lot of research (not done yet) on the rifle. Mine is just stamped 6.5 on top of the receiver...nothing else. The rifling is 'progressive', meaning it has a gain twist (measured). Whoever had it took good care of the bore, I pushed about 24" of cosmo out of the bore & the bore was shiny. The bolt on mine is straight down. It has a 'cruciform' bayonet (3-sided) that took me 2-days of re-rust using Kroil-oil to get things moving. I'm surprised that you have as much info stamped on the rifle that you posted. The clips are different also, load from top, eject from the bottom.
I need to know what original finish was used on the metal parts.

Page generated in 0.04200 seconds with 8 queries