View Single Post
Old November 22, 2005, 11:02 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Savage 1899 (Marked that way means it is pre - WW I)"

Except for the fact that that serial number puts the rifle firmly in the 1921-22 range.

The change in nomenclature/markings didn't come until after World War I for most models, right around 1920, with some being serial numbered and made as late as 1925, apparently a result of the factory using up the last of the pre-war barrels that were lying around.

I've even seen one rifle from the transition marked 1899 on the barrel and 99 on the frame ring, which is where the new model marking ended up.

"Q for Mike, how many secondhand guns have you trotted off to the gunsmith with to have vetted for shootability?"

Myself? None. But I know which end of the muzzle the bullet comes out of.

I DON'T automatically make that assumption of someone posting on a firearms board. Just because they find their way here doesn't mean that they have a vast, insightful knowledge of firearms, especially when they ask "The obvious question is what the heck are these? Are they shooters or wall hangers?"

I'm not going to answer such a question by advising someone to run out, grab a box of shells, and hit the nearest vacant field.

No offense, Virgil.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03226 seconds with 8 queries