View Single Post
Old April 8, 2011, 11:49 PM   #17
snuffy

Quote:
Hello, Cascade1911. Once that nickle starts to peel, & a piece gets between the case & die, it will scratch your die. Probably not carbide pistol dies, but it will on a steel rifle die.
Quote:
Like Ideal Tool says, the nickel can flake off and ruin a good set of dies.( the sizer die)
You're both badly wrong! If not for rules on this forum, I would have said something stronger.

Mike, if you're an actual engineer, you must know something about brinnel hardness of various metals. Please explain how nickel plating can cut hardened tool steel that dies are made of!?¿

The nickel on the brass is really not plating, it's a coating called electroless nickel. It is very thin, so thin that if it did peel, it would be like shavings. Some nickel coated brass can have the coating tumbled right off, so you can see the yellow brass under it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroless_nickel_plating

I use a lot of nickel coated brass. In fact, I buy it if it's offered in any caliber. I found a nickel .280 that had fallen out of an ammo carrier during the November deer hunt. It was July of the next year. The BT copper jacket was almost black from corrosion, the shell was still bright and clean. Went through a Wisconsin winter, spring and early summer, fired without a hitch. A brass case would have been the same color as the bullet, wouldn't have even seen it.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.03573 seconds with 8 queries